View Profile GoodL

165 Movie Reviews

Huh? What's this?

That's a like.

I've been really enjoying these, they're fun. You got that classic flash style with some real goofy humor and I'm about it. Keep it up!

Joekellman responds:

Thank you man! I’ve been havin a lot of fun with em, and it’s been a while since I’ve had an outlet for art/music/comedy. Appreciate the kind words and will keep makin more.

There are parts of this to which I would say "admirable effort!" Other parts, however, made it frankly very difficult to sit through. I did sit through them though, on account of the fact that I think there is potential here that just needs to be developed and properly utilized.

First up, get rid of the "channel intro" sequence. Just scrap the whole thing, and go straight into the video instead. It's the most run-of-the-mill, trashy YouTube-laden thing you could possibly do. And on top of that, it clashes with the actual video in a just miserable way. It's dull, it's annoying, and it's entirely unnecessary. You don't wanna be that person.

My next biggest complaint about this is that there are entire MINUTES of this video where not a single thing happens on screen and we (the audience) are left with nothing but the beat and a still-frame. I genuinely do not understand why you didn't take those opportunities to put more animation in! Add some cool stuff going on during those parts, maybe some animation of Cuphead fighting enemies, or maybe some well-drawn stills that break the monotony, or even just... anything! Anything at all would have been better than staring at those single, unmoving frames waiting for that part of the beat to end and the next verse to arrive.

After that, we need to address the Autotune... The absolutely horrendous Autotune. Look, I understand using heavy Autotune for stylistic purposes, and believe that it can but done to good effect, but in all honesty, this ain't it. It doesn't even sound like the Autotune is set to the same key that the song is in. It's just all over the place. If you want to use heavy autotune to achieve a certain sound, I say absolutely go for it, but you MUST do it right.
While we're on the note of the audio, the vocals are also very poorly mixed. I can't say for sure, but it seems to me like you just downloaded a song and recorded your vocals over it (and I suspect you did something similar with your "channel intro"). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you give credit and have permission to do it, but if you're going to do it, you still need to mix your vocals properly. They are way too loud in comparison to the instrumental.

Now I've listed my biggest complaints, I'll tell you why I say the attempt is admirable. For one thing, I don't think that this video was inherently ill-conceived. The lyrics are adequate and do a good job of conveying the Cuphead story-line in a way that I think suffices as an homage to the game (which I would say is a very good game and totally deserving of fan art such as animated music videos), but if you're going to do something like this again I really think you need to hold yourself to a higher caliber. You show a lot of promise here, it just seems like you've only put in the bare minimum amount of effort to make the video exist, instead of putting in the extra work to make the video good. I truly believe that you can make something better than this, and you really have the potential to make good animations, you just really need to self-criticize your work before deciding it's done, and ask yourself "what can I do to make this better before I upload it to a place like Newgrounds?"

I wish you good luck going forward, I hope you keep at it. I know you can make something awesome if you really apply yourself.

7 Game Reviews

Nick, go to bed.

This is pretty interesting conceptually. I was having fun watching stuff just get whackier and whackier. My biggest complaint here is just that the game part itself could stand to be a little more entertaining, or engaging. It kind of feels like the fun of this really just comes from the corruption gimmick, but if you could couple the hilarity of the bizarre effects of the "corrupted data" along with some really fun gameplay, I think this here would be a masterpiece.

StoneForged responds:

Thanks for the support but to be fair I do state it’s a bad game in the description.

Lovely lil homage. :)

24 Audio Reviews

why is this tagged "michael-jackson"?

There'll be no more pushing Joe around :/

Rest in peace, Daniel.

Lovely rendition you got here, littlbox.

I love this. Has a really nostalgic feel for me, like it reminds me of stuff I would have listened to in high school in a very nice way. Good stuff, keep it up!

25 Art Reviews

Nah I think it's good

SupakMeraklja responds:

Thanks GoodL

This part was awesome, didn't know you did it. Great job!

Yeah that's lovely :)

Co-host of A Couple of Crickets Podcast, and Even More Sound Podcast; creator of FlowDownStream; animator; """musician"""; university dropout

Gage Goodell @GoodL